Therapy/treatment modaliy review | Social Science homework help
Students will select a treatment modality addressed during the course and develop an annotated bibliography that provides a review of the literature as it relates to a specific treatment population or clinical issue. Students will both summarize and critically appraise 4 research articles that pertain to the topic and treatment population that are chosen.
Guidelines to Help Choosing a Topic:
- In broad terms, the treatment modalities we have explored in class this semester are as follows: treatment for co-occurring disorders, psychodynamic approaches, cognitive theories, third wave cognitive theories and therapies, mindfulness-based cognitive therapy, narrative theory, solution focused theory, and trauma theory. Within each of these modalities, there are more specific approaches. For example, cognitive therapies include CBT and DBT. You will want to pick something specific within one of the modalities (such as CBT or DBT if you are working on cognitive therapies) so that you can narrow your research. If you choose too large of a topic, it will be very difficult to complete this assignment. You are welcome to email the professor with your topic idea to get feedback, and the professor recommends you plan ahead.
- Treatment populations include groups that utilize the treatment modality. Examples: homeless individuals, Veterans, adolescents, families, adults, children.
- Clinical issues include diagnoses and social problems. Examples: homelessness, substance use, borderline personality disorder, anxiety, food insecurity, eating disorders etc.
Guidelines for Writing the Paper:
- If you are not familiar with how to create an annotated bibliography, please see the following resource for support with how to format and create an annotated bibliography. You will see that information about what an annotated bibliography is provided as well as a template to use (but double check the APA style): https://libguides.enc.edu/writing_basics/annotatedbib/apa (Links to an external site.)
- Students should create a “research question” that their annotated bibliography addresses and clearly state this research question at the beginning of the assignment (after the title page).
- Each entry in your annotated bibliography should contain two paragraphs; the sum of the two paragraphs should be approximately 1 page single-spaced text each:
- The first paragraph will be a summary that answers the following questions: who wrote the article and what the article discusses. You should be concise and share the most pertinent information and findings from the article.
- The second paragraph will be your evaluation and critical appraisal of the article. You will critically assess the work for accuracy, relevance, and quality. You should develop an argument for whether this article is relevant to your exploration of the topic and how it should be considered in practice.
- Your completed assignment should be between 4 and 7 pages of single-spaced written text plus the cover page. The professor will stop grading after the 7 pages of single-spaced text is completed; be sure to give yourself time to edit your work and make sure it is written concisely.