Soc100 assignment 3-diversty and ethics cover letter | SOC101 | Strayer University
Assignment 3: Diversity and Ethics Cover Letter
Due: Week 9
Skill(s) Being Assessed: Problem Solving
Criteria for Success: In this assignment, you will:
- Thoughtfully reflect on past experiences as they relate to consideration of diverse and ethical perspectives.
- Identify relevant sociological concepts that tie to the situation posed.
- Apply diverse and ethical perspectives to a decision-making process. Provide specific examples from personal experience or the scenario.
- Articulate the value of incorporating diverse and ethical perspectives when making decisions.
- Describe ways to raise awareness and communicate the importance of considering diverse and ethical perspectives. Include concrete examples from the identified problem.
- Write in a professional manner using proper grammar and spelling.
What to submit/deliverables: Word document downloaded from Chapter 9 in the webtext and uploaded to the Week 9 Assignment in Blackboard.
What is the value of doing this assignment? This assignment gives you an opportunity to practice the skill of problem solving. It will show that you can use diverse and ethical perspectives when solving a problem and making a decision. Problem solving is a universal skill and one you will continue to refine as you progress throughout your career. This assignment asks you to use what you’ve learned in weeks 7–9 of the course about actively problem solving and considering diverse perspectives. Worried about where to start? The good news is that you’ve already laid the foundation throughout the course in your webtext readings, videos, and Learn sections in Blackboard.
Your goal for this assignment is to: Practice your problem solving skill. You will do this by writing a cover letter that demonstrates your knowledge of diverse and ethical perspectives and how they could be applied to the job you are applying for.
What you need to complete this assignment:
- Cover letter template, provided in the webtext.
- Downloaded cover letter from the webtext.
Steps to complete: Complete the template for Assignment 3 in Chapter 9 of the webtext. You will be asked to write a 3-paragraph cover letter to the head of the diversity and ethics committee.
STEP 1:Describe how your background and unique perspectives would be a valuable addition to the team.
STEP 2: Give an example of a time when you intentionally looked at other diverse and ethical perspectives in order to make a better/more ethical decision.
STEP 3: Answer the following questions based on the scenario below:
In the graduate program at Herringbone University, students are allowed only one missed class per semester or they face academic discipline. Three female students have approached you as the diversity and ethics officer with a concern about the policy. They explain that they all have young children (as do many students in the program), and getting childcare during class times is difficult because some of the classes don’t end until 8:00 in the evening. They feel the policy is unfair, especially since the university doesn’t offer any support, leniency in policy, or childcare options. In addition, the location of the university (an upper middle class neighborhood where most children have at least one parent at home) is not where most students live (a neighborhood where most children have two working parents or a single working parent).
- How would you approach this issue using diverse and ethical perspectives? Use specific examples from the scenario and your personal and professional life.
- Why is it important to consider diverse and ethical perspectives in this situation?
- How would you raise awareness and communicate the importance to others at your school in your role on the diversity and ethics committee?
STEP 4: Your responses from Steps 1–3 will be combined into a template. Download this completed template by following the instructions in Chapter 9 in the webtext.