For this paper, you will be writing an explication of the poem Danny Deever. A poetry explication is an explanation of what you believe the message of the poem is. Because you will be explaining your own personal interpretation of the poem, you will need to gather some evidence to support your ideas about the poem. Answer the following questions using your answers in your paper:
- What does the title contribute to the reader’s understanding?
- Who is speaking? What is the situation?
- What difficult, special, unusual words does the poem contain?
- What references need explaining?
- How does the poem develop? Personal statement or a story?
- What is the main idea of the poem?
- What kind of figurative language is the poem using? What about symbolism or literary allusions