Field experience a: leadership and collaboration | Methods of Teaching Math to Students with Mild to Moderate Disabilities
Actively observe, interview, and collaborate with the mentor teacher, paraeducator, or aid who currently teaches math in a middle school classroom (Grades 6-8), about collaboration in the inclusive/mainstream classroom.
Your observations should address the following:
- Roles of special education teachers, general education teachers, and students with disabilities in the inclusive setting
- Opportunities to demonstrate leadership while collaborating in each specified role
- Leadership opportunities to collaborate outside of the classroom, for each specified role
- Collaboration models that have been successful for each teacher, taking into consideration student needs
- Ways to create and maintain safe, inclusive, and culturally responsive learning environments to engage individuals with disabilities in meaningful learning activities and social interaction
- Advantages and disadvantages of collaborating while teaching math
Use any remaining field experience hours to assist the teacher in providing instruction and support to the class.
In 250-500 words, summarize and reflect upon your conversations, observations, and instructional experiences. Explain how you will use your findings in your future professional practice.