Theories describe and explain what happens during development. Theories also offer a way of trying to predict behavior. Often theories can be used to understand the people with whom we are closest. For example, Erikson’s 8 Stages might help you understand why your teenage son cares more about his friend’s opinion than your perspective.
For this discussion, think about different development theories and select one:
- Piaget’s 4 Stages of Cognitive Development
- Erikson’s 8 Stages of Psychosocial Development
- Social Learning Theory
- Vygotsky’s Sociocultural Theory
- Bronfenbrenner’s Ecological Systems Theory
In your initial posting:
- State the specific theory you have chosen by its proper name.
- Provide an example from your life.
- Explain how an aspect or concept from the theory helps you understand the provided example.