Lab 2: Developing the Project MOV (MUST HAVE BACK BY JULY 19, 2014 – PROJECT HAS TWO PARTS)
Due Week 3 and worth 70 points
This Lab consists of two (2) sections: a metric calculation spreadsheet, and an analysis document. You must submit the two (2) sections as separate files for the completion of this lab. Label each file name according to the section of the lab it is written for.
In order to complete this lab, you will need to use MS Excel. The following training video named “Get to know Excel 2010: Create formulas,” located at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/get-to-know-excel-2010-create-formulas-RZ101862712.aspx, may be used to refresh your knowledge.
Section 1: Metric Calculation Spreadsheet
Required Format (MS Excel File)
The Measurable Organization Value (MOV) helps organizations determine whether they should proceed with the execution of a project. Use MS Excel to calculate the specific metric identified in the project summary below. Then, use the results of your computations to determine if the project is worth completing. Highlight your findings on the analysis document (Section 2).
Cloud Migration Project: An organization is seeking to migrate its email infrastructure to the cloud. By migrating the email infrastructure, the organization expects to eliminate the need for having maintenance and monitoring resources for email services, which represents $350,000 annually. The cost per user for cloud email services is $150 annually.
- Use MS Excel to develop a one (1) page spreadsheet in which you:
- Compute the minimum number of users that would be required to achieve a breakeven point.
- Compute the ROI for the first year of the email migration project, assuming the organization had 1,500 users.
- Calculate the expected savings the company may expect for the first five (5) years, assuming cost per user remained the same and the number of users remained constant at 1,500 users.
- Include a column that explains the logistics and sequence of computations.
Section 1 of your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Include labels for figures and computations.
Section 2: Analysis Document
Required Format (MS Word File)
Use the results of your computations to determine if the project is worth completing.
- Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Provide a business analysis and justification for determining if the project is worth completing.
- Provide an alternative adoption to this migration that can satisfy the ROI.
Section 2 of your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required assignment page length.