RTI is a systematic pre-referral assessment process employed by school staff to ensure universal, targeted, and intensive individualized interventions are implemented prior to initiating the formal special education referral process. RTI requires collaboration with colleagues to select and develop RTI interventions and assessments to be administered to students. Teachers should have knowledge and skills in recording and interpreting RTI assessment data. They should also be adept at developing informal assessments to support the RTI process to guide day-to-day planning and teaching in the classroom.
Allocate at least 2 hours in the field to support this field experience.
Part 1: Pre-Referral Assessments
Observe and collaborate with a certified special education teacher in a K-5 grade setting about pre-referral assessments and his or her role in the RTI process.
Your conversation should address the following prompts:
- The criteria and distinguishing factors of RTI Tier 1, RTI Tier 2, and RTI Tier 3
- Examples of and how RTI Tier 1, RTI Tier 2, and RTI Tier 3 interventions and assessments are developed and administered to students
- How the classroom teacher records and interprets information from the RTIs
- How the RTI information is used in making eligibility, program and placement decisions for individuals with disabilities
- Strategies in communicating RTI results to various stakeholders
Part 2: Collaboration
Collaborate with the K-5 certified special education teacher to develop an informal assessment that could be used to gauge student academic progress at RTI Tier 1 for reading, math, or another core content area. Your informal assessment can include, but not limited to, quizzes, exit tickets, or work samples. This informal assessment will be administered to a student in the field experience classroom for the Clinical Field Experience B.
Use any remaining field experience hours to assist the teacher in providing instruction and support to the class.
In 250-500 words, summarize and reflect on your observations and collaboration explaining how you will use your findings in your future professional practice. Additionally, describe the informal assessment that was developed, including the content and purpose of the assessment for addressing RTI Tier 1 factors.