Purpose of Assignment:
Students will identify the barriers and challenges that families face when trying to provide a healthy and active lifestyle for their children.
For this assignment review both case scenarios below and respond to the questions in a question and answer format. Be sure to answer questions in complete sentences and paragraphs. This is an exploration of the
Incorporate at least one credible resource from this course into your responses for each scenario…
Scenario #1: Bella is a preschool-age child who arrives at the child care program late every morning. By the time she arrives (after an hour bus ride), breakfast has already ended and children are actively playing throughout the environment. Bella consistently explains that she is hungry, but is told to wait until snack time which is in another hour. Additionally, she has been found to hoard food in her personal cubby after snack and lunch. Bella’s family often visits the community food pantry to feed their family of six. Their family lives downtown and in an apartment on the 10th floor of a high rise.
- Describe the barriers Bella faces when it comes to her nutrition at home and in your program?
- Describe the barriers Bella faces when it comes to physical activity at home and in your program?
- Provide one suggestion for supporting Bella’s needs nutritionally and one for supporting her needs physically within your program. Basically, what can your program do to help?
Scenario #2: Bo is a toddler in a family child care setting. His family is a first-generation immigrant family from a country in eastern Asia. He wears multiple layers of clothing every day regardless of the weather and often sweats. He prefers to be carried, even though he can walk steadily. His grandmother has been staying with the family since he was born and is a primary caregiver. She will carry him or place him in a carrier even as he is able to walk steadily. Bo is also fed by his grandmother rather than being encouraged to use utensils or his hands for picking up food. Bo’s mother says that feeding him is customary and shows respect for his growth and nutrition. No food should be wasted when it is needed for his healthy development.
- Describe challenges for Bo’s healthy physical development in a family child care setting or any group child care setting.
- Describe challenges for Bo’s healthy nutrition in a family child care setting or any group child care setting.
- Provide one suggestion for supporting Bo’s needs nutritionally and one for supporting his needs physically within your program. Basically, what can your program do to help while still honoring his family’s cultural preferences?
Format: Document – Question and Answer format
- Include a title page and a reference page that includes the APA-formatted citations for the resources you used in your research