PSY 111: Introduction to Psychology Learning Unit 9: Assignment
Empathy & Application
Research a psychological disorder of your choice.
• At the top of your assignment, use bullets to list the symptoms of the disorder and your
Imagine what it would be like to have that disorder. How would you think? How would you
behave? How would you interpret your surroundings? How would you feel?
In 1st person perspective, write a one page paper imagining what it would be like to have that
• Use your creativity and imagination. The main point is to exhibit symptoms of the disorder and
how they may be played out in the real world.
o Here are some examples of how someone might approach the assignment.
▪ What would the first day of starting a new school be like for someone with
generalized anxiety disorder?
▪ Enter the mind of someone with narcissistic personality disorder starting a new
▪ What are the thoughts of someone who suffers from anorexia nervosa when at
a family dinner?
▪ How does someone with depression convince themselves to get out of bed in
▪ What is it like for someone with schizophrenia to ride a bus?
▪ The disorder and circumstance are up to you. From the symptoms you
researched, try to portray what it would be like to enter the mind with someone
suffering from that disorder.
© Jennifer Hess and Indian Hills Community College